Oxford, Mississippi is a town rich in history and Southern charm. While you may arrive in Oxford for a conference, there is no shortage of culture to explore. Make the most of your business travel and take advantage of our literary heritage, outdoor recreation, cuisine, shopping and more. Here are our locals’ recommendations to make your trip to Oxford one to remember.
Where to Stay
Choosing your homebase in Oxford is simple. Keep things convenient by staying in one of three hotels that service the Oxford Conference Center: Tru by Hilton, Hampton by Hilton and TownePlace Suites Marriot. These hotels offer a total of 285+ rooms within only a 2-3 minutes’ walk of our front doors.
Traveling for business should offer more than sitting at a conference table. There are ample ways to enjoy the outdoors in Oxford for people of all ages.
- Practice your shooting skills at McIvor Shooting Facility. This impressive $4 million shooting facility is an easy half-hour drive from Oxford. It features a sporting clay course, and shooting ranges for pistol, rifle, archery, skeet, and 5-stand.
- Book a tee time at the Ole Miss Golf Course. Just north of the University of Mississippi’s main campus, the 18-hole Ole Miss Golf Course welcomes golfers of all abilities for a fun and challenging round.
- Explore Oxford on two wheels. Named a “Bike Friendly Community,” Oxford has a number of bike trails to get you up and moving. The South Campus Rail Trail runs adjacent to the Ole Miss campus within easy riding to downtown. If you feel more adventurous, try out the 13-mile loop at Clear Creek Trail by Sardis Lake.
Your business trip to Oxford can be fun for the whole family. Keep the kids entertained while cooling off from the summer heat at these top stops around town.
- Swim at the Hampton by Hilton or TownePlace Suites Marriott pool. Both hotels are conveniently located across the street from the Oxford Conference Center.
- Hang out at the Oxford Skate Park. Complete with a pavilion and playground, the Skate Park offers a fun and safe place to play, with or without wheels.
- Savor a cold treat from Oxford Creamery or Sweet Magnolia Gelato. Oxford Creamery handcrafts ice cream that captures classic Mississippi flavors like Banana Puddin’ and Butter Pecan. Sweet Magnolia debuts new and seasonal gelato flavors regularly, all from locally sourced ingredients. Both are located on the Square, so stop by to taste the latest on the menu!
- Browse Square Books, Jr. and Olive Juice Kids. While you’re on the square, check out these two shops that keep the little ones in mind. Children’s bookstore Square Books, Jr. carries books, puzzles, games, stuffed animals, and more. Olive Juice Kids specializes in children’s clothing, shoes, accessories, and gifts.
There’s no shortage of exceptional dining options for every taste, even within walking distance of the Conference Center. Eat your way around Oxford at these local favorites.
- Take a lunch break at Common Ground Coffee Bar or El Charro Cocina & Cantina. Both restaurants are within easy walking distance of the Conference Center. Common Ground serves handmade sandwiches and specialty coffee drinks perfect for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. El Charro offers a robust selection of authentic, traditional Mexican cuisine made from scratch.
- Sip a craft cocktail at Bar Muse. This intimate bar inside Oxford’s historic Lyric Theater is the local’s secret for craft cocktails. Enjoy a well-made drink, including signature cocktails and wine by the glass with a lively atmosphere.
- Enjoy a night on the square at Saint Leo and City Grocery. A 2017 James Beard Foundation “Best New Restaurant” semifinalist, Saint Leo is a must-visit for fresh-made Italian cuisine served with Southern hospitality. Finish your night with cocktails on the balcony at landmark restaurant City Grocery.
- Dine in or carry out from Tarasque Cucina. This Mom-and-Pop Italian restaurant is a local favorite for casual dinner off the Square. Each dish features fresh, locally sourced ingredients that showcase Mississippi’s seasonal produce. BYOB to enjoy an alcoholic beverage with your meal.
The Avid Reader
Once home to Nobel prize-winning author William Faulkner, Oxford’s literary roots run deep. Take a tour of history while picking up a paperback or a hard-to-find copy of your favorite classic.
- Take a trip through history on a Double Decker Bus Tour. Double decker buses are iconic in Oxford. Available for private tours, these buses visit the University of Mississippi campus and points of interest around town, including William Faulkner historic sites.
- Tour Rowan Oak, home of William Faulkner. Rowan Oak was Faulkner’s private home for more than 40 years. Just South of Oxford Square, the historic property features his Greek revival home surrounded by 29 acres of grounds and the Bailey Woods Trail. The grounds are open daily from dawn till dusk.
- Visit award-winning Square Books and Rare Square Books for hard-to-find editions. Independent bookstore Square Books is housed in a two-story building in downtown Oxford, complete with balcony and cafe. Just a few doors down, their sister store, Rare Square Books, carries collectible and vintage first-edition books.
- Take a shot of whiskey with William Faulkner at his grave. Whiskey was Faulkner’s drink of choice. It’s customary to take a shot, pour some on his grave, and leave the rest for the author to enjoy in the afterlife.
The Serious Shopper
Find a treat for everyone on your list (and for yourself) at some of our favorite shops around town.
- Visit Neilson’s, the oldest department store in the South. Founded in 1839, Neilson’s carries the latest trends in apparel and accessories. The store’s building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior.
- Shop the square. Shops on the Square carry everything you can imagine, from children’s apparel and high-end designer clothing to home décor and gifts.
- Pick up Oxford memorabilia at Olive Juice Gifts. Olive Juice Gifts carries a huge selection of Oxford and Ole Miss merchandise, plus seasonal home goods and gifts.
- Browse the best selection of t-shirts at B-Unlimited. Find custom t-shirts and unique apparel to show off your love of Oxford.
There’s truly something for everyone in Oxford! Be sure to make the most of your time in town by exploring. For more information about the Oxford Conference Center, click here.